Saturday, February 5, 2011

Princess Castle Mural


We did it! We finished painting Hannah's room. It is indeed a girly-girl room, complete with pink walls and a princess castle on the wall. It was a lot of fun, and looks really cool. Here's what we did:



Jonathan painted the walls. Hannah and I helped by staying out of the way, except for our photo op.

Then, I traced the outline of the castle on the wall, using an overhead projector and a pencil. The design is some clip art I highly modified, using my super-high powered graphics program, Paint. The original castle was tall and skinny; I made it much wider because I wanted it to take up as much of the long wall as possible.




To keep the lines straight, I used my big quilting ruler and a level while tracing. This is what it looked like when I was done:




Then I painted it. (Yes, I did it myself. Yes, I'm pregnant. Yes,I used non-toxic acrylic paint that was approved by my doctor.) The last time I did this was in Hannah's nursery, and I used a sponge brush, which left a texture on the wall which I didn't really like. This time, I used a small paint brush. This required two coats of paint, but the finish was smooth, and I was really pleased with the results.

(Here's the sponge brush nursery, in case you wondered.)




This was kind of a top-secret project, not because Hannah didn't know something was happening in her room, but because I didn't want her to see me writing and/or painting on the wall and get any ideas. So I finished it this morning while Jonathan and Hannah were out of the house. She was pretty excited when she saw the finished product. She even knocked on the door and looked in the windows, trying to see the princess inside.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...